This city is becoming THE place for Instagram Influencers
There are two things Instagram influencers love: a big following and tons of attention. The better the backdrop in their photo, the more followers and attention they'll receive (obviously a photo in the Maldives will garner more "likes" than Jersey City).
But there's a city that not only provides breathtaking backdrops, it was basically built with the millennial in mind. Quito, the capital city of Ecuador, is all the rage these days, and influencers are booking trips fast. Pretty soon, you'll see Quito on everyone's Instagrams, and this is why.
5 reasons why Quito is the next big hot spot for Instagrammers.
1. The city is built within hills, so you have mindblowing backdrops everywhere. Literally anywhere you stand, you have views of the city built on the hillsides and cradled within the mountains. Quito is almost 9,000 feet high, so you're basically on TOP of the mountains, and it's exotic, grungy, sophisticated and amazing. We repeat: you have views EVERYWHERE (from rooftops and random streets to plazas and hilltops).
2. FREE PUBLIC WIFI EVERYWHERE. That's right. There is fast and free city WIFI in all the major places in Quito, whether plazas or parks, busy streets or nightlife areas. This means you can Instagram story or upload photos on the go, rather than waiting to get to your hotel or eating up international data plans on your phone.
3. You are in the center of the world. Less than 1 percent of Americans have visited literally the center of the world. Quito is RIGHT ON THE EQUATOR, and because of its location (0 degrees latitude/longitude), it's considered the center of the world. There's an actual place you can stop and take photos of yourself with one foot in the northern hemisphere and your other foot in the southern hemisphere. You will be one of very few influencers to do this until the crowds come!
4. The hilltop Virgin Mary statue is your new "edgy" shot. Instagrammers love photos hanging from the top of buildings, but that's old news. The Virgin Mary statue ("Panecillo") looks over the city like Christ The Redeemer in Rio, about 9,200 feet high, taller than ALL major structures in the world. From the top of the statue, you can take incredible selfies of you looming over the sprawling city with panoramas that frame snow-peaked mountains in the backdrop.
5. Quito is CHEAP AS HELL. Backpackers feel like kings here because Quito is crazy cheap. In fact, Quito's currency is the US dollar because their economy was cah-rumbling and so the dollar was a lifeline... The most expensive hotel, Casa Gangotena (a former, centuries-old mansion), is only about $300 a night (compare this to other five-star hotels in any major city, and you'll see it's easy on the wallet) and four-star hotels can run you about $150-200 a night. You can have a world-class meal for as little as $15, and tours are affordable, attractions are light on your wallet (like the cable car, which is only $8, compared to about $20 anywhere else in the world) and full hour massage can be as low as $30. Start packing!